Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bohemian Rhapsody Crochet Wrap


(I'm reposting this blogpost from my older blog) 



Bohemian Rhapsody - Crochet Kit - pattern and yarn - 75 colours

For more information about the kit, see here - link:
Renaissance Dyeing - Bohemian Rhapsody Crochet Wrap Kit

La description est également disponible en français. 
Uniquement sous forme de kit
Cette étole est composée de 75 couleurs différentes et de 144 carrés. Il y a trois différents carrés,
chacun a une combinaison de couleurs unique.
L’assemblage des carrés se fait en crochetant, ce qui permet de faire l’étole sans coutures.
Le fil utilisé est un mérinos très fin, teint à la main avec des colorants à base de plantes.

Het patroon in de kit is in het Engels geschreven, maar het is ook in het Nederlands beschikbaar, op aanvraag.









The Bohemian Rhapsody is a crocheted wrap or shawl made from the most delicate and soft Lace Merino yarn, hand-dyed using plant-based dyes.
This design has 75 different colours and the 144 squares are crocheted and immediately joined thus creating a one piece wrap without seaming. Each square has its unique colour combination based on three different crochet motives.










The Bohemian Rhapsody design is only available as a kit because it is made for/with the 75 colour range of Renaissance Dyeing's basic Lace-weight Merino yarn.These colours are so exceptional, beautiful and hard to be compared to any other yarn. I wouldn't know where to find another yarn in a 75 colour range.That's why here wool and pattern unite!


Naturally plant dyed wool is vibrant, cheery and energetic in comparison to chemical dyed wool. The colours seem to match every time, even the more unusual the combination, the better it seems.











Some time ago, while I was knitting a scarf of 40 colours from the same yarn, the idea came to me to make a design with the entire 75 colour range. This eventually turned into a crochet project, because I felt that the colours flourished better in these "granny" crochet motives 

..Would it surprise anyone if I say that Klimt, Hundertwasser and Niki de Saint Phalle are my favourite artists..?












While I was crocheting this design, it felt like with each motif a new colour memory seem to surface....There was the square that brought me back to the Christmas atmosphere of my childhood, the square that revived my visit to Sweden, the square that reminded me of a sweater I used to have and cherished, etc..
This may sound weird but each colour-combination materialised intuitively, one can say that the colours picked me instead of me choosing them.

It was a truly magical project, not a fast one, as the wool is very thin, but it was a fantastic process all-together and to my surprise I was quite sad when it was finished. 
To be done again anytime!
But other projects await me first.








A while ago, when I discovered the website of Andie Luijk, the woman behind Renaissance Dyeing, I was immediately fascinated by her incredibly beautiful hand dyed wool. She manages to conjure 100 different colours from different plant dyes.
Everyone who likes to work, like me, with plant-based dyes, knows how hard it is to procure all these different tones. It's a real mystery to me how Andie succeeds and I'm secretly jealous on her for her skills.
I haven't had the chance yet to visit her colour farm in the French Pyrenees, but I hope to treat myself to this trip next summer and then I might get a glimpse and discover some of her secrets.
Besides dyeing and selling her magical wool, she also gives fun and interesting workshops.. please have a look on her website!


For me, working with plant dyes feels like a process of alchemy or even magic, to connect with the world of colours and plants has a healing power on the body and mind. I can recommend it to anyone.






This pattern is available only as part of a crochet kit.
For more information about the kit, see here:


The Kit includes:
- A 29 page crochet pattern with written and charted instructions.
- The 75 x 25m skein Main Range Pack.


The Wrap measures approximately190 cm to 200 cm (74.8in to 78.7in)by 34 cm to 38 cm (13.4in to 15in), depending on blocking
Crochet hook size 3mm ( US = C or D)


La description est également disponible en français. 
Uniquement sous forme de kit 
c'est ici:
l'étole en crochet Bohemian Rhapsody



Het patroon in de kit is in het Engels geschreven, maar het is ook in het Nederlands beschikbaar, op aanvraag.






With a big thank you, to the model: Ingrid Anna

10 comments:

  1. The colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved this scarf. I made an 'imitation' version last year but it just isn't the same. I've bookmarked the ordering site and I am determined to order it and make it.

    It is just simply a stunning scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with you that connecting with colours and plants has a healing power on the body and mind, that has been my experience too :)
    Love the scarf and the natural colours. The design is stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mattie, KrisR and Hilde :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spent many shows now with this scarf hanging in my stand and I have watched many many people cross the hall to see and touch it. They are always surprised to hear that it has 75 different colours in it. It is such a harmonious creation it has a touch of magic in it, a combination of plants dyer and designer. It is something very unique and has been a big feature in my life and I hope that 2013 will be the year when I am able to complete my own Bohemian Rhapsody. Thank you Marylene

      Delete
  5. Hello
    Found you through The Creative Crochet Crew on Facebook. What a lovely scarf. I love everything about it. Well done. And also, you make beautiful patterns. Love everything about your creations.
    Annette
    My Rose Valley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work and gorgeous colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marylene, I absolutely love your wrap and have been saving this post for ages! Is it possible to order the pattern without the yarn? I would like to make a cotton version of it as I find wool too scratchy to wear and it is too warm for it anyway here in Pretoria, South Africa. Regards, Lize Kampman

    ReplyDelete